Accessibility at Unity Christian School
At Unity Christian School we recognize the importance of accessibility not only for those with disabilities but also for the benefit of the entire school community. providing a learning and working environment that supports all students, staff, and the larger school community.
Accessible B.C. Act
The Accessible British Columbia Regulation, under the Accessible British Columbia Act, came into force on September 1, 2022. The goal of the act is to improve opportunities for people with disabilities and involve them in identifying, removing, and preventing barriers to their full participation in the life of the province.
- Legislation – Accessible BC Act
- Regulation – Accessible BC Act
- Accessibility Legislation Plain Language Summary
Important Definitions from the Accessible B.C. Act:
- Disability: An inability to participate fully and equally in society as a result of the interaction of an impairment and a barrier.
- Barrier: Anything that hinders the full and equal participation in society of a person with an impairment.
- Impairment: A physical, sensory, mental, intellectual, or cognitive impairment, which is permanent, temporary, or episodic.
Implementation of the Accessible BC Regulation
- Accessibility Committee: The Society of Christian Schools in BC (SCSBC) established an accessibility committee in May 2023. The committee, in consultation with SCSBC schools, developed the accessibility plan.
- Accessibility Plan: The Unity Christian School Accessibility Plan outlines our commitment to accessibility and the actions in our Three-Year Accessibility Plan for 2023-26.
Mechanism for Reporting Accessibility Accomplishments and Barriers
We have developed an online survey to provide a mechanism to provide input about accessibility accomplishments and barriers at our school. The surveys are reviewed three times a year and are taken into consideration for future versions of the plan.