The Board of Directors:
The board of the Chilliwack Christian School Society (Unity Christian School) consists of 9 persons elected by the Society. It then elects officers who serve as chair, vice chair, secretary, and various other standing committee functions.
The board acts as the guardian of the vision and mission of the school society. Through the System Principal, they ensure the school’s day-to-day plans and activities fulfill the school’s mission and vision. Each board member serves a term of office for three years and, in most cases, is expected to serve an additional three years. The school board’s duties include:
- Determining school policies that fit with the school’s vision and mission
- Appointing and supervising the System Principal
- Ensuring the implementation of the Strategic Plan
- Ensuring the short-term and long-term financial sustainability of the school
- Advancing the cause of Christian education
The Board Nominations Committee (a standing committee of the board) is charged with finding suitable candidates to fill vacancies on the board as they arise. They seek out committed Christians with specific gifts and abilities to maintain a diverse group of leaders who work together to guard the mission and vision of Unity Christian School.
The 2023 - 24 School Board of Directors:
- Board Chair: Lisa Smiens
- Vice-Chair: Brandon Kloot
- Secretary: Andrea Bakker
- Treasurer: Doug Ensink
- Arnold Romeyn
- Kyle Schuurman
- Ed Kuipers
- Earl Pauls
- Cynthia de Visser
Please direct all correspondence to the Board Secretary.
The Unity Board of Directors has established committees whose terms of reference require them to focus on various aspects of the school. The System Principal, a representative(s) from the board, parents (society members), and staff members comprise each of the board standing committees other than the Board Executive and Nominations Committee.
Standing Committees of the Board:
- Board Executive Committee
- Board Nominations Committee
- Finance Committee
- Employee Relations Committee
- Education Committee
- Community Engagement Committee
Operational and educational leadership staff have the responsibility to oversee strategic programs and events at Unity Christian School. These staff require support from the standing task forces which are comprised of volunteer staff, parents (society members), and stakeholders. The purpose of a task force is to support the specific event and ensure that it is connected to the mission and vision of the school and its strategic plan.
Standing Task Forces:
- Auction and Celebration Task Force - led by the Director of Development
- Gala Task Force - led by the Director of Development
- Annual Unity Christian Golf Tournament Task Force - led by the Director of Development
- Maintenance and School Grounds Task Force - led by the Facility Manager
- Transportation Task Force - led by the Bussing Coordinator
There are a number of additional staff committees that are used to support the school and its programs. The composition of these committees is solely school employees.
- Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Staff Social Committee
- High School Awards Committee
- Accessibility Committee
- Library Committee
- Staff Scholarship Committee
- Bursary and Scholarship Committee